Interlochen Michigan

Monday, July 4, 2011

Werewolves of London

Go to fullsize image

I recently purchased this item, and although I know that Jackson would remind me that it is plastic, which it is, however, it is NOT single use plastic, and it is BPA free.  I had discovered that while boycotting the use of the plastic bottle, I almost altogether stopped drinking water, as I don't like the taste of water in metal containers!  Yes, a bit of a Diva at that, but this product is better than a disposable water bottle.  So, Jackson please, cut me some slack!

I have made some shifts in my use of products, and reducing my carbon footprint.  Small, but changes none the less!  I use bar shampoo, so that saves a single use plastic bottle, recycle weekly, and I am trying to avoid purchasing items housed in materials which will end up in a landfill.

Today is the 4th of July!  Independence Day!  Funny, it's not a Holiday that I have found particularly enjoyable for the past decade or more.  I am not totally certain as to why, maybe because it means the summer is moving too fast, and usually work is right around the corner.  I am not really certain.  This year, I remind myself that this is not the mid point of summer, but that there is still plenty of time for me to enjoy the lazy days of summer! 

This week I send my daughter off to Australia to study abroad until the end of November.  Oh, how I will miss her, and oh, how lucky she is to have the experience!  I am so proud of her, and I am certain she will have a fabulous time!  I will have the opportunity to once again grow as a parent, as I did when she left for college two years ago, and I certainly want to still grow!  She has done a great job of cutting me loose slowly, but with a certainty that is necessary.  She is teaching me to find other portions of my life to focus my attention on, and to allow her to grow!  She also makes sure that I know that it doesn't count if it is her brother, who wouldn't be nice enough to gently shove me in another direction!

The other night I went out to dinner with friends who happen to be  members of the board of directors of my last place of employment.  I expected it to be a nice evening, and it was, however I still couldn't shake the feeling of nervousness, fear of saying the wrong things, or any other insecurities which I am still combating from the experiences of the past year.  I bring this event up because as we sat at ate, I suddenly heard the voice of Jackson emerging from the speakers.  There he was singing, one of my all time favorites, Sweet Baby Blues.  I immediately relaxed, as the odds of hearing Jackson Browne played at a place where the servers, managers, bartenders, etc. were not close to being old enough to know who he is, and choose his music.  I have always believed that these little oddities of life happen for a reason.  To me, Jackson's words are often what I need to calm down, to take stock of the reality of a situation, and to just smile spontaneously, which can cause a cascade of relaxation!

A few minutes more into dinner, I listened once again to hear a version of Werewolves of London!  I also love Warren Zevon, and his songs often just make me out and out laugh.  The odds of hearing both these songs in place full of young employees, lead me to believe it was one of those events, which happen for whatever reason, but are not accidental, they occur for me, because I need them too!