Interlochen Michigan

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Lawyers, Guns and Money




Another Warren Zevon favorite of mine, although I prefer Jackson's version of the song! Since we are naming our new puppy after Warren Zevon I have been thinking about his music, his behavior as described in "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead! The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon" and his obviously long term friendship he had with Jackson Browne. It's apparent in the book, that their friendship continued until the end of Warren's life, although there were long periods of separation while they followed their own paths.

I believe Jackson Browne takes the oath of friendship very seriously, and he displays this even today, by playing tribute to Warren by covering his songs in his concerts. This is two fold, they are great songs, and it helps make sure that Warren isn't forgotten.

Warren was certainly a fantastic musician and song writer. However, in his personal life he made many "mistakes", caused various people emotional and physical pain, despite how hard he tried to "get it together" he missed out on large parts of his loved ones lives, improving relationships ironically in time to find out he was terminally ill.

So, why do I and many others love Warren Zevon? His music, his performances, his "deeply disturbed" (which I totally appreciate) sense of humor? How could I make the choice to name a sweet innocent gentle puppy after Warren Zevon?

In the world of people there are many kinds of people. Two of those kinds are Jackson Brownes and Warren Zevons. Bruce Springsteen described them as Cain and Able.

Today, when pondering the name of the new puppy, after having to explain to someone who Warren Zevon was, and what songs he wrote, I had an epiphany. Although, I have always wanted to be a Jackson Browne, I am really a Warren Zevon! I want to be a save the world, everyone loves me, all around good person. A person who weighs decisions and choices carefully, considering the risks of their actions. A person who is comfortable in their belief system, who wouldn\'t become hurt or angry when the need to defend those beliefs arises. A person who when someone hears their name they reply, " she is such a great person". However, I am really a "say things at the wrong time", "can't always follow through", "afraid to do a lot of simple things", very insecure person. I certainly did not dish out the physical and emotional abuse which Warren Zevon did in his "bad" days. However, as hard as I have tried the past 55 years I have done many things I wish I could undo.

When Warren Zevon passed away, many, many friends and fans felt the loss. His musician friends created a tribute album by covering some of his "best" songs. These people were able to see the real Warren Zevon, the Person who he really was, when some of his unfortunate behavior was peeled away.

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money
The shit has hit the fan!

 I have always loved that line, as it somehow, maybe not literally but figuratively been an applicable statement to a variety of events in my life!
So, I've come to the conclusion that most of us aren't Jackson Brownes, nor Warren Zevons but lie somewhere in between.

I am proudly naming our puppy Warren Zevon,because in reality nobody is perfect. We will love our little "Werewolf of Champaign", when he howls in the backyard. When I find myself angry that he has chewed a hole in a sofa pillow, chewed up a shoe, and other acts of destruction, I will remind myself that I am not really a Jackson Browne but more of a Warren Zevon myself!