Interlochen Michigan

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Poor, Poor Pitiful Me


This is Howdy!  He came to live at work last year, when he was donated to our garage sale.  Weeks before the sale various people were already trying to buy him, and for some reason we couldn't part with him, and he is a permanent resident at our school.  He has traveled on various vacations with some of the kids and their families.  He has had sun screen applied, lipstick, and has had many a pretend meal made for him to eat.  He has even be given a mail order wife, Howdita, to keep him company.

Howdy at Myrtle Beach, hoping to not get caught in the condo!

Howdy and Howdita enjoy a tasty meal!

The other day I walked into work on my way out of town to drop a few things off, and there was a group of kids playing in the large motor room, and on one of the mats, on his side, looking a bit dirtier than I remember, and a little deflated, was Howdy.  I realized that I had forgotten about him, and hadn't known where he had been living the past few months, and even if he was still around. 

My mind wandered back a year ago, when he joined our staff, became an important member of our school, and a cow who everyone loved, young and not so young.  How could I have forgotten him?  His mail order bride is safely stored upstairs, while Howdy takes the brunt of the "love" from the kids. 

At this point I realized that it is time for me to stop feeling sorry for myself.  I too feel that I have been forgotten, and that I am a bit dirtier, and definitely deflated!  It is time for me to move on with a positive attitude, which will be the ticket to any successful change and transition occurring in my life, I get to choose what happens next.  I am pretty lucky.  I have options, I have a husband, kids, dogs, cats, and Howdita to help me begin my next journey in life.  I realized that Howdy wasn't really forgotten, maybe by me, but he had taken up residence is a classroom, living a spectacular life of love and interaction with the children in the class, getting bounced on, hugs, and kisses.  He may be older, but his life is good. He has yet to be put out to pasture!

I'd lay my head on the railroad tracks
And wait for the Double "E"
But the railroad don't run no more
Poor, poor pitiful me

I chose this song, which is really a Warren Zevon song, covered by Jackson, because it always makes me laugh.  When I feel like a failure there is humor, however, twisted, in the idea that one could be so unlucky that they couldn't even successfully end their life, choosing a railroad track that doesn't have a train!  It often helps for me to journey in my head to the point of total ridiculousness to see reality, and jump back and join the world again.  It also brings me back to my son, who loved every song with the word train in it, and didn't have to know or care what it was really about!


My daughter and I saw Jackson Browne on Thursday night.  He was really good, and as usual I liked hearing him sing, and talk about his life.  He always reminds me that I still have time to do lots of different things in my life!  We had never been to Grand Rapids before so we drove downtown to find the venue, to see how long it would take, and where to park, etc.  My daughter, who was born with the ability to spellcheck anything on the fly, quickly says that his name is spelled wrong on the marquee!  Sure enough, check it out!  When your last name is LaPointe, those silent vowels are imperative!  So we rounded the corner of the theater, and low and behold there is the bus!


On the windshield of the bus, is the parking permit, with the name Browne correctly spelled!  



Being a preschool teacher, I had a sharpie, note card, and scotch tape in the car!  We attached a note to the window which said:

Mr. Browne:  Your name is spelled incorrectly on the marquee.  It says Brown, not Browne. 
From the LaPointes not LaPoints!

When we returned for the show the marquee had been corrected, with the happy e in it's proper place.  I'd like to believe we had something to do with the correction which occurred, but even if we didn't, we sure had fun writing the note, and taping it to the bus.  I love going places with my daughter, she makes me feel young, she is really enjoyable, and she has a fabulous sense of humor.  I brings me back to the days, when I would have left a note on the bands, bus.....oh.....I guess I still would.

Now for some reflections on my plastic free, environmentally friendly life I am trying my best to live, or learn to live.  I learned something at this concert, regarding this quest.  I was trying my best to take these new ways of living into all aspects of my life, and for everything that I purchase, even if it wasn't for me.  Although, I enjoyed taking my quest for new habits to that length, I realized at the concert, even Jackson Browne himself doesn't do that!

What do I mean???  The bar and snack area outside the theater, was a virtual shrine to single use plastic.  There were tiny, and I mean tiny, wine glasses, single use plastic.  No one individual could consume only one, they were at most 1.5 ounces, and not reusable, water bottles, soft drinks poured out of 2 L plastic bottles, plastic lids on the cups, straws, larger plastic cups for mixed drinks.  The only non plastic item were the aluminum beer bottles!  So much for a plastic free tour!

My point is, that Jackson and his crew don't use single use plastic, however, he still performs at a venue that is using single use plastic, and going out of the way to use as much as possible, not just when necessary for safety!

What does this mean?  Even Jackson Browne has to make a living, and he does that by singing, so, he performs in venues which use single use plastic, rather freely!  Therefore, it is not necessary for me to carry my quest of the lines of my personal life, unless I am asked to!  I guess, that won't make me a hypocrite....It is a process of attraction, not promotion.