Interlochen Michigan

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Take it Easy


These are my produce bags!  They are full of produce!  Each held over 10 pieces of fruit.  I also used my pretty reusable bags when I purchased the groceries for work, and for myself.  It really did feel good to be kinder to the Earth.  Tonight at dinner I suggested that I should change the name of this blog to "It's Not Easy Being  Green!"  At least for me!

FYI, when I write this blog, I find myself sorting through, and trying to make sense of the things in my life that cause me pain.  However, in other areas of my life, I am actually very happy.  Frustration in one area of my life, doesn't make unhappiness in all of my life.  I have a great husband, although he needs to stop bringing home those plastic bags, or learn how to crochet, two fabulous children, and although most of my favorite people are under 40 inches tall, they are the best! 

Jackson Browne was once quoted as saying "of my truly cheerful material, well, there isn't much", and then going on to explain that he is really a very happy person, but those aren't the things he often writes about.  I assume it's because it is those situations which cause us discomfort or pain, that we take the time to analyze, and examine.  That is the way to understanding, and to finally release the painful feeling.

Lighten up while you still can
Don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
and take it easy

I have chosen this song for this entry for several reasons.  First of all, not everyone knows that Jackson Browne wrote this song, the Eagles made it famous, and who people think about when they hear this song on an oldies radio station!  Back in the last 1960's and early 1970's there was a group of musicians who hung out together, wrote songs, played them for each other, recorded their own songs, each other's songs, played on each other's records, and helped each other find the path to success.  It was a long time ago, but some of these names should sound familiar, and many have been inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, some more than once.  More than once?  Yes as an individual and as a member of a group.  Musicians such as Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young; Linda Ronstadt, Joni Mitchell, The Eagles, JD Souther, even Elton John and Bruce Springsteen, could be counted among some of these fabulous musicians, as well as, of course, Jackson Browne.

As each became more successful, they would have the others go on tour as the opener, introduce them to people in the industry, etc.  My point is that these musicians, while trying to become successful, and well known, and make a good living, were not afraid to support their friends, promote their friends, and help their friends find the correct door to success.

They did not feel that the success of someone else, would somehow diminish their success, or that the success of someone else, would make their success less of a positive event.  Why, I often ask myself, can't people have this attitude more frequently, even on a small level.  Why when people see someone struggling, do people not automatically want to help?  I'm not talking about total strangers, although that would be awesome also, I am talking about people who are watching someone they know struggle, and then continue to watch as the walls come tumbling down!

Last week, someone who I totally respect, and care about, and value their opinion, more than most, told me that to get help from people, one has to ask!  That is a simple, well put statement, but I wasn't talking about, the idea that one needs to tell people what they need, as it isn't always obvious.  I was talking at this time, about an obvious situation, where anyone with any vision could see that help was needed.  I would be a happier person all around if I knew that one needed to ask for help, to receive help!

To me this is a major stumbling block in our daily interactions with people whom we know, and who we have relationships with, personal, or professional.  In my mind if I am aware that someone is struggling, I am part of the problem, if I don't try to be part of the solution.  Again, I don't mean I can solve someones problems, but if I know they are struggling, and I don't at least try to find out what is happening, and if there is a way to help, or find a person to help, than I have added to their problem.  If I keep my blinders on, and take care of my own life, things are simpler, I'll have more time, but how will I be able to enjoy those extra minutes!  Some would say, with pleasure!  I can't. 

So, tonight, I will take Jackson's advice and "take it easy".  I'll wait for my bulk dog bones to show up, in their recyclable box, my bar shampoo which will hopefully be nicer to my hair, order some more shopping bags, make plarn, and try to find a way to recycle dog hair from my Beagle/Basset!

By the way....when I was younger, I though the words to Take it Easy, involved a "flat red ford", no one where I grew up drove pick up trucks, or flat bed Fords!