Interlochen Michigan

Friday, April 29, 2011

Sleeps Dark and Silent Night

I've been home sick for few days, so I have been doing a lot of looking at the world of "Greener Living" blogs,  the plastic pollution coalition, and trying to take in what I have been learning.



This is a picture of all of the plastic that was found in a juvenile sea turtle off the cost of Argentina.  Poor dude!  The less we use, the less chance of things like this continuing to occur.

I also found that in some places in Hawaii they have banned the plastic bag.  People bring a reusable shopping bag, or they can purchase paper bag with out handles.  

Sea World in San Diego is also banning the plastic bag from their shops and restaurants.  While other cities are doing events such as non plastic Wednesdays, or another single day during the week.  This promotes some thought for consumers, which may alert them to changing their way of thinking and what choices are made on a daily basis.

Things I have learned through trial and error.  The powdered laundry soap, housed in a box works great!  My clothes have never looked cleaner, I love it!  Still questionable on the bar shampoo, not totally satisfied with the results of any that I have chosen.  Love the produce bags, and my reusable shopping bags, they are really strong, and work well for schlepping anything, not just groceries.

Love the refillable soap dispensers, my husband, not so much!  Biodegradable trash bags have mixed results.  The Green Genius are great, and reasonably priced.  The next kind I bought, I discovered didn't have a tie on the top, so when my husband asked me what was with the current kitchen trash bag, I replied, "they are won't buy agains!"

While my husband is continuing his running, staying young by challenging himself to be healthier and active.  I will continue to go forward in my quest to learn how to better our environment, slowly, but learning and researching each step of the way.

I do not see an electric car in my near future, but maybe a hybrid....a used hybrid!

Sometimes I lie awake at night and wonder
Where my life will lead me
Waiting to pass under Sleep's dark and silent gate
 
I really like this passage of Sleeps Dark and Silent Night.  It of course is out of context, but that is what is so special about using music to inspire and understand oneself.  One can take the smallest portion of a song, and use it out of context, for a totally different purpose. 
 
To me, out of context, it means just what it says.  While lying in bed waiting for sleep, we have the time and ability to imagine what is going to come next.  After all no one really knows, life takes many twists and turns, and it is what we do with those that really counts.  Every twist is a learning experience, and every turn is a new opportunity. 
 
Life is really an incredible journey!