Interlochen Michigan

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Teach Your Children


Teach your children well,
Their father's hell did slowly go by,
And feed them on your
dreams
The one they picks, the one you'll know by.

This is my daughter, Katie, on her first Christmas, way back in 1991.  Seems like yesterday, and seems like a life time away at the same time!  When Katie was first interested in music, and coming into her own as a pre-teen, among other favorites she developed a strong affinity for country music. I found myself at a crossroads, I had NO, and I repeat, NO interest what so ever in that genre of music.  I have to admit it that I never really listened to it, nor did I think of this as something I would ever take the time to try out.

I wanted to continue to understand my children, and I wanted to be able to continue to relate to them, so I took the leap.  I took her to a Kenny Chesney concert, and after wondering how he actually got into his pants, I realized that I did know some of the songs.  I also realized that he put on quite a show, unlike Jackson who as Bruce Springsteen describes it, stands in his t-shirt and baggie jeans and pours it heart out on stage.  Besides Elton John and his changing costumes, in the 70's, it was the most choreographed concert I had ever seen.

Soon, because I respected the likes and dislikes of my young daughter, and was willing to step into her world, I discovered that I liked country music, not just when I was with my daughter.  I let her teach me something new. 

In many ways the trip I am on over these few days, is probably similar to my wanting to connect with Katie, through the music that she enjoys.  This is her turn to connect to me, her mother, with the music I enjoy.  Since I am someone who shares memories of my younger years in very limited quantities, Jackson is the one who can allow me to open those boxes, which are often sealed tight, and awaken a story, which allows others to get a glimpse of where I came from.  Something I think my children are curious about.  I really believe she likes and appreciates Jackson's songwriting talent, and his way of writing every one's life, while documenting his own.  She never seems uncomfortable being the youngest person in the seats.  I am so happy that she has chosen to spend this time with me. 

I am finding that these trips, are journeys, times when we can spend time together, talking, laughing, sharing, and getting to know each other on a real level.  Last night after dinner, the bill was paid, the food was gone, and I realized we were still sitting at the restaurant table, talking, in no hurry to leave.  We were acting like friends!

I am excited to continue on this new journey with my daughter, sharing time, sharing stories, and continuing to learn and appreciate the incredible individual she has become, while still getting the privilege of being her mother.