Interlochen Michigan

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Strawberry Fields Forever

Now, I am very aware that Strawberry Fields Forever is the Fab Four, not Jackson, however after yesterday's adventure I am sure he wouldn't mind me giving them a mention, after all it all relates to my work to become a better caretaker of the environment.

So, in search of shampoo which would not be contained in a single use plastic bottle, I visited Strawberry Fields in Urbana.  I brought Andrew with me, so I wouldn't feel so conspicuous, as I am sure everyone there knew that this is not the place I would frequent! To much whole grain, and bulgar!  The place scares me, a tiny bit....

Anyway, I was surprised to find so many products in plastic, I thought I would find toilet paper and paper towels wrapped in recycled paper, and paper bags to buy the bulk goods.  No, the bags were plastic!  I should make a request for them to rectify this situation immediately, but since this in only my third day at protecting our Earth, I thought it might come off as rude....

I did make several exciting purchases.  I bought two Liggetts shampoo bars, one was "original" and the other was "mint tea and hemp".  I figured after this experience, I could use a little hemp.  Also purchased were biodegradable kitchen trash bags.  I am looking forward to the garbage filling up, so I can try these out.  My fear is that they will degrade prior to making it to the outdoor trash, and I will have a container of non contained trash!

When I returned home, I consulted a green web site, to figure out what to do with the produce when selecting it, prior to having it bagged in my reusable bags.  I purchased a collection of reusable shopping bags, and PRODUCE BAGS!  They came in a package of six, and they are mesh.  Hopefully they will hold more that one piece of fruit!  I am eagerly awaiting their arrival, so I can go produce shopping!

This morning I washed my hair with the bar of hemp.  I figured that even if it didn't work there was the possibility of a contact high, which could make my morning more relaxing!  So I attempted to lather up the bar, and I washed my hair, round one.  To be honest, my hair felt kind of sticky, and I wasn't sure about the results. A little unknown fact about me is that I have a "thing" about clean hair.  I equate dirty hair with psychosis, so I try to never appear out in public with my hair looking dirty. 

"Jackson", I said to myself, "you have fantastic hair, and you say you use bar shampoo....do you make it yourself on your ranch, off the grid"???  If this is the best it gets, I don't know if I can give up the plastic shampoo bottle, and worry that I am walking through life looking psychotic????

I took a deep breath, rinsed my hair, and lathered up again.  I knew that Jackson wouldn't let me down.  I put that lather on my hair, and tried again.  This time there was a nice rich lather, I scrubbed my hair, and felt it actually increasing in volume, which is difficult with my thin hair, then I rinsed, brushed, and blew it dry. 

It actually feels good, and looks lighter, maybe the hemp got to me, or just maybe, I found a way to avoid one single use plastic bottle in my life!  They even make little travel shampoo bars.  If I end up with two many I can make friendship bracelets out of the extra!  I am supposed to get 26 shampoos out of my bar.  One gone, 25 to go!

On today's agenda I am going to do laundry with the powdered soap in a box, and pray the soap flakes dissolve and don't clump in the laundry, then I am going to look for reusable soap dispensers and paper towels and toilet paper wrapped in recycled paper.

Oh people, look around you
The signs are everywhere
You've left it for somebody other than you
To be the
one to care


The most exciting thing about this new journey I am taking, is that it is helping me to realize that there is still a time for me to invest myself in my future.  The future of the Earth is an added bonus.  Just weeks ago, I was walking through life as if the doors were closing, as if I had reached the time, age, milestone, where I would just exist, and not produce. 

I guess it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks!

Tomorrow I may, just may, use a little less fossil fuel and walk to work....I said may.....