Interlochen Michigan

Friday, April 8, 2011

Walking Slow

Well it's now Friday, and frankly my hair is beginning to resemble straw!  I decided that since Jackson says he uses bar shampoo and it's awesome, maybe I have the wrong brand, and I should try something else.  If I don't I am afraid it will crack off strand by strand, and then the only use for it will be to feed a horse, or put it on the playground with the mulch!  I mean, come on, Jackson has awesome hair, and it is certainly not cracking off and falling on his piano while he plays!

So, I broke down this evening and purchased some fancy hand made bar shampoo on Etsy, not made of hemp, so although I might not relax me, or cure nausea, hopefully my hair will once again consider being soft and less rigid!

I decided to leave the car behind this morning and walk to work.  Lower my carbon footprint, and get some exercise.  I washed my hands with my refillable automatic soap dispenser,  loaded up my Waste-Less bag, filled up my Eco- Friendly cup with my morning Pepsi, and walked on down to work....(now a little confession, if it is a half mile, that is a stretch).

Walking slow down the avenue
Through my old neighborhood
Don't know why I'm happy
I've got no reason to feel this good
Maybe it's because I'm all alone
And I've got no place to go
And everywhere I look I see
Another person I'll never know


Walking is a great opportunity for me to let thoughts run through my ever cluttered mind, without fear of causing an accident!  If I walk fast enough, and with enough energy and I rewrite any negative thoughts flying through my mind, to have a positive spin.  I love to watch people and their dogs on their morning walks.  We have a neighbor who takes him dog for a daily drag.  The dog is usually at least four feet behind him, and he has to pull on the leash to get the old dog who can still dig his heels (do dogs have heels) into the ground, and refuse to move.  If he were Jewish he would be taking his dog for a schlep.


Then there are the little bouncy dogs that wag and wiggle their way down the street, and it takes them about 16 steps of all four feet, to match one step of their owner.  My all time favorite is when I see someone walking a Great Dane, and a tiny little purse dog.  It's like they are bringing a snack in case the Great Dane gets hungry on the way!

I'll go on record as saying that out of my two dogs, one is so "debilitated" that to take him to the corner and back, takes an afternoon.  The other is very enthusiastic, and can dislocate my shoulder if he sights a squirrel, and I would need to carry 100 biodegradable plastic doggy waste bags because he insists on trying out every lawn in the neighborhood. 

This afternoon I read "The Green Book" which has many great ideas how to become more environmentally friendly.  There are lots of facts that show how simple it is to do one small thing, and make a large impact over time.  They make sense, even to me.  Cut just a couple of minutes off of your daily shower, unplug your cell phone charger, computer, etc when not in use.  use a razor with replaceable blades. I've been doing that with out even thinking that I was helping the environment.

As usual, I have found one suggestion I really can't wrap my brain around:

Skip a few toilet flushes, to save water!  Sorry, no thanks....at work considering the age of our clientele we must be saving a whole lot of water, because they sure skip a lot of flushes.  At my home, not going to happen!


I got a thing or two to say
Before I walk on by
I'm feeling good today
But if die a little farther along
I'm trusting everyone to carry on...


I am certain that even Jackson is not asking us to skip a few flushes!

Tomorrow my goal is to look for environmentally friendly toilet paper and paper towels, and find a place where I can purchase dog chewies that don't come in plastic.  I am sure there is a pet store that will sell them in bulk, and I could put them in my Waste-Less bag or my produce bags, although it would take all six of them to get enough chewies for Wrigley!